Thursday, November 29, 2012

History of pop music



The history of pop music, pop means popular, and it's remained the defining term for the ever-changing music favored by the public. Although not specifically applied until the middle of the 20th century, pop music as such can be traced by a few decades before that.

You could say that the songs of music hall were the first real pop songs, written by professionals and widely performed for audiences. That dates back to the Victorian era, when a performer needed a catchy, identifiable song. (Credit to)


Things changed with the advent of recording pop music, early in the 20th century. With that, music had the chance to be much more widely spread across the world. Records, played at 78 rpm on wind-up gramophones, were relatively cheap back then. In America, that led to a group of professional songwriters in New York who wrote pieces intended to be recorded and sell well. They were largely hacks, but did produce some beautiful material.(Credit to)

Katy Perry started writing pop songs in the late 2000's. Her first pop song she wrote was "I kissed a girl" written in 2008. "Have I ever kissed a girl? Of course I have. I can't sing a song and not have done it. That'd be complete hypocrisy. I fancy Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman and Angelina Jolie - I'd definitely kiss them." Katy said to a reporter.(Credit to)

Katy's latest hit pop single is "Wide Awake". She wrote this on March 13, 2012. The reason why she wrote "Wide Awake" is because of the identical reason why she wrote "Part of Me" earlier that year. She was bashing her ex husband Russell Brand the words read: “I wish I knew then what I know now, Wouldn’t dive in, wouldn’t bow down, Gravity hurts, You made it so sweet ’til I woke up on the concrete.” (Credit to) (To see her lyrics)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/focka/6818838283/sizes/m/

No comments:

Post a Comment